I’ve never really been into breakfast; “healthy” breakfast foods have been even less interesting to me. I often just skip breakfast and eat a large lunch instead.
All that changed 2 weeks ago! On Christmas eve, my partner’s Uncle came to visit us and he brought a delicious jar of granola made on his farm along with him. The next morning, before rushing off to spend Christmas day with friends in a neighbouring city, we needed something to eat quickly. The jar of granola was just sitting there on the table, so we opened it up and tried it.
It turns out, I like granola if it’s full of cranberries and coconut 🙂
So once that jar-full of granola was gone (which was within the week), I decided to make some more myself. It’s pretty easy; it’s also filled with nutritious ingredients!
If you’d like to try making some too, here’s what you will need (I’ve divided the ingredients into groups to make it easier to describe the steps involved):
2 cups of rolled oats
1/3 cup dried, finely grated coconut
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 pinches of salt
1.5 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
20 ml (1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon) maple syrup (you can add more if you want the granola to be sweeter. I was trying to make a not-so-sweet version. You can also just add more cranberries at the end. I prefer the cranberry option because this means you’ll have extra little bursts of sweetness in your bowl 🙂 )
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Pre-heat oven to 250 fahrenheit.
- Measure out and mix together the ingredients in Group A in a large mixing bowl.
- Measure out and pour the ingredients in Group B into a microwave safe bowl. Now warm the bowl in the microwave until the coconut oil melts.
- Pour the melted ingredients in Group B on the ingredients from Group A, mixing continuously.
- Spread the mixture on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
6. Once baked, cool the mixture and mix in the cranberries.
7. Store in an airtight container, ideally in the fridge.
Your granola is ready!